going back to grammar school---the IELTS way

Friday, July 14, 2017

Almost every nurse in the country aims to work abroad and before they reach that rewarding goal, it is a prerequisite to take an English proficiency exam (commonly, the International English Language Test System//IELTS). So I took the academic module last June 17th at Novotel hosted by the British Council and gratefully, I passed 🎉

Well,I passed in terms to the country where I'm applying on but basically, there are different parameters depending on one's intended destination. Some would require a band of 7 in all subtests (Listening/Reading/Writing/Speaking) while others only need a band 7 in a particular subtest or overall band score and the rest can be at least have a rate of 6.5. Though, everyone usually strives for that '7th Heaven' since UK is in demand! (and so do I want to get back there as well!Haha!) That's why I gave this another try---yep, that was my second (and last) take.
My first IELTS exam happened last February and that was like my most anxious moment next from my Nursing board days 3yrs ago. I was more tensed during the Speaking day since to be honest, I rarely practiced it and I dislike oral tests especially that they ask on-the spot questions. Unfortunately, the topic I had was not beyond my interest (it was all about swimming and sports) plus with my nerves, I stuttered ;( The other 3 subtests went very well as I got a band 8-8.5 on each of it. Whereas for speaking, I got a 6.5. I could've asked for a re-check but I believe I really didn't performed good on it. I wasn't very upset on my grades; In fact, I was even proud 'cause I didn't expect to get a very high score as a first-timer :) So I went on a break from all of these grammar stuff for about 2 months. At around April after my HK trip, I decided to take the exam again. As in, 1 more try and if it flunks again, then it's a sign.
I only had 2 months to prepare for my retake and during those times, both writing and speaking became my main focus. I took coaching sessions and mock exams at 9.0 Niner when I have the time to gauge my scores. Then the week before the exam, I joined their Boot Camp by sir Edward Zurbano for an in-depth practice of speaking. The session also involves writing as the coach will be giving an assignment and the whole process was very effective. It boosted my confidence after having that 2-hr simulation of speaking drills. Plus, he gives additional pointers on how to ace that '7 and beyond' band score :) So if you'd like to enroll, CLICK ON THIS LINK for more info.
June 14th was my speaking exam and I was almost late due to the heavy traffic that I did not anticipate. The invigilator even contacted me but good thing I was already at the building during that time. The downside was, it became my turn right away so the rush continued!My examiner was a Filipina and she wasn't one of those scripted-type examiners who just follows the questions in a Cambridge book. Though the whole interview was all related to water activities (in which again,swimming is a part of it.hmpph!). Thankfully, it ended shortly and it was a great relief that it's finally done (in addition to the fact that the day after was Britney Spears' concert.Haha!). Moving on to the 17th, I took the other 3 subtests and compared to my previous take, this whole set was harder. Both L&R were full of multiple choice questions and True/False/Not Given. As for the writing tasks, it was a line graph about Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and an open-ended essay whether Space Travel would bring a positive or negative development. I used the whole 60 mins. to finish both tasks and based on experience, I think it's the time pressure that was very challenging. Yet, piece of advice: Plan what you will write and organize your ideas. ;)

Then after 2 weeks, I received my grades. I thank the Lord, my family and friends for helping me achieve this.❤️ Indeed, this might be the start of #Road2Abroad but my plans will be kept confidential for now ;) Anyway, congrats also to the other June takers!